Lithuania, Republic of
Military Medical Service
Basic Tasks of the Medical Service / Vision
The main tasks of MD Jonas Basanavičius Military Medical Service:
- to ensure medical support for military operations of the Armed Forces branches and subdivisions in Lithuania and beyond its boundaries in correspondence with NATO standards and assistance to the government and municipality institutions in extreme conditions in law determinate order
- to ensure soldiers and other lawful persons personal and public health care and specialized medical expertise performance
- to ensure military society education and training in military medicine field
- to ensure psychological care to military personal
Military Medical Training Centre was established in 1999. There is a variety of courses lectured at Military Medical Training Centre:
- Military Medical Doctors and Military Medical Doctor Assistants course (8 weeks)
- Narrow specialization Reserve Military Medical Doctors and Military Medical Doctor Assistants course (2 weeks)
- Paramedic course (32 weeks)
- Individual preparation course for medical personnel before the mission (1 week)
- International Battlefield Advanced Trauma Life Support (BATLS) course (3 days)
- Prehospital Combat Casualty Care Course (PCCCC) (4 days)
- Military Major Incident Medical Management and Support (Mil MIMMS) course (3 days)
- Basic CBRN Medicine (BCBRN MED) course (5 days)
MD Jonas Basanavičius Military Medical Service is responsible for medical support of military operations of the Armed Forces' branches and subdivisions in Lithuania and beyond its boundaries in correspondence with NATO standards and assistance to the government and municipality institutions in extreme conditions and law determinate order.
Medical Support Units Group consists of:
1. Land Forces Medical Support Unit
Land Forces Medical Support Unit consists of five Role 1 Medical Support Units and Role 2 LM (light maneuver) Medical Support Unit:
- Role 1 MSU provides Role 1 medical support with nessesary treatment and evacuation capabilities for military units during military other types of operations on BN level.
- Role 2 LM Medical Support Unit is being developed.
2. Air Forces Medical Support Unit
Air Forces MSU :
- Role 1 functions,
- 24/7 search and rescue team work;
- aeromedical evacution with fixed-wing aircraft.
3. Naval Forces Medical Support Unit
Naval Forces MSU:
- Role 1 functions;
- support on ships:
- divers medical care:
- hyperbaric therapy.
Role 3 and Role 4 medical support is provided at Lithuanian civilian hospitals.