Thailand (Air Force), Kingdom of
Sakda Sutjarittam MD
Basic Task of the Military Medical Service
• Planning, staffing, organizing and evaluating RTAF medical operation.
• Research and development in RTAF medical science.
• Medical services in military medicine, general medicine, preventive medicine and prevention of NBC warfare.
• Medical personnel training.
• Medical logistic.
• Knowledge management in RTAF medicine.
Directorate of Medical Service is directly under command of RTAF Chief Commander.
10 Wing Hospitals with 30–50 beds (directly under RTAF command).
3 Independent squadron medical units.
9 Air defence medical support units.
8 Telecommunication relay center medical units.
1 Special support centre medical unit.
Military Hospitals (examples)
1. Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital, Bangkok
• 705 beds with 800 beds full capacity.
• Departments: OPD, medicine, surgery, orthopedic, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatric, pathology, ophthalmology, ear-nose throat, radiology, dentist nursing, pharmacy, anesthesiology, blood bank, rehabilitation, medical education, cardiac center, respiratory unit, nutritional unit and infectious control unit.
2. Chantarubakesa Hospital, Nakodn Pathom
• 350 beds with 500 beds full capacity.
• Departments: medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, OPD, aviation medicine, preventive medicine, anesthesiology, radiology, pathology, eye ear-nose throat, pediatrics, pharmacy, dentistry, orthopedics, rehabilitation and nursing.
Institute of Aviation Medicine
• Planning, staffing, organizing and evaluating RTAF aviation medicine.
• Research and development on aviation medicine.
• Licensing of pilots.
• Medical services for pilot and flight personnel.
• Logistic on aviation medicine.
• Medical air evacuation.
Location: 171 Paholyothin road, Klongthanon, Saimai, Bangkok 10220.
Departments: Technical Division, Pilot Health Control, Flight Safety, Aviation Pathology, Air Evacuation Center OPD service only.
Preventiv Medicine Division, Bangkok
• OPD service only.
• Departments: health sanitary, clinical pathology, public health, infectious control, health promotion and veterinary.
Number of Medical Service Personnel
• Training for medical services officers in Bhumibol Adulyadej hospital.
• Residency training in 17 subspecialty including general surgery, otolaryngology, orthopedics, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatric, aviation medicine, neurosurgery, family medicine, emergency medicine, critical care medicine, nephrology, cardiology, gastroenterology, gynecologic oncology, neonatology and perinatology, traumatic surgery.
• Training for assisting/nursing in RTAF nursing college.
• 20 Fields Units (directly under RTAF deployed unit).
• Wing hospital or RTAF medical unit is responsible for the area around RTAF air bases.
• Medical air evacuation center, institute of aviation medicine is responsible for air evacuation upon request from air command control center, RTAF.
• Protected Transport Vehicle of the medical services for ground transportation.
• C-130 for an evacuation air-craft.
• Experience of active deployment with medical service of other nation.
• East Timor in 2004.
• Iraq in 2005.
• Integration of the military medical services in the civilian healthcare system.
• Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital affilation with Chulalongkorn University for medical student graduate training.
• Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital under medical council of Thailand for postgraduate medical residency training.
• Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital and Chantarubeksa Hospital involve in civilian health care system and social security system.
• RTAF hospitals involve in the universal coverage project.
• Institute of aviation medicine trained several aviation medcine course for civilian airline personnel.
Browse by category
SDFDS is the Section Defence Forces Dental Services from the FDI. Every year prior to the FDI annual congress we organize an annual meeting. This meeting contains of a cultural day and a scientific program of 2 days, in which international military dentists share their experiences, challenges and latest developments.
The next meeting will be from 29 AUG-1SEPT in Shanghai, China