Spain, Kingdom of
Antonio RAMON CONDE ORTIZ
Major General MC
Hospital Central de la Defensa Gomez Ulla
Glorieta del Ejército S/N
Basic Task of the Medical Service
Support, protect and maintain the health of the Spanish Armed Forces personnel.
The INSPECCION GENERAL DE SANIDAD (General Inspection of Health) is the supreme authority in Spanish Military Medical Service.
The Inspector General de Sanidad (Surgeon General) is under the authority of Undersecretary of Defence. A Military Medical Directorate in the Army, Navy and Air Force, with functional dependence of the Armed Forces Surgeon General.
- Medical Directorate, with 2 Military Hospitals and 6 Military Clinics
- Preventive Medicine Institute
- Blood Centre
- Aerospatial Military Medical Centre
- Pharmaceutical Directorate with a Military Pharmaceutical Centre
- Veterinary Directorate with a Military Veterinary Centre
All hospitals are fully equipped with all means of diagnostic equipments.
Additional Military Clinics in Ceuta, Melilla, Valencia, Cartagena, Ferrol, Cadiz
- Aviation Medicine Centre, Madrid
- Diving Medicine, Cartagena
- Military Centre of Pharmacy
- Military Centre of Veterinary
The medical training for military personnel is provided in the Military Medical Academy (Military Faculty of Medicine) in Madrid.
Number of Medical Personnel
- One Medical Brigade
- One deployable Role 3
- Two Air MEDEVAC units
Current active deployment of the Military Medical Service:
- Afghanistan: one Role 2
- Lebanon: one Role 1
- Atalanta, Indian Ocean: one Role 2 afloat
- Irak: one Role 1
- Central African Republic: one Role 1
- Djibouti: one Role 1
- Dakar (Senegal) one Role 1
- Libreville (Gabon): one Role 1
Currently, the Military Hospitals have cooperation agreements with the civilian hospitals network.
Other Special Aspects
The Spanish Military Medical Journal.
Browse by category
SDFDS is the Section Defence Forces Dental Services from the FDI. Every year prior to the FDI annual congress we organize an annual meeting. This meeting contains of a cultural day and a scientific program of 2 days, in which international military dentists share their experiences, challenges and latest developments.
The next meeting will be from 29 AUG-1SEPT in Shanghai, China